Atisara -Acute diarrhea is a condition in which one passes liquid motions frequently.
From the Treatment point of view Atisara can be classified in two groups viz. Amatisara and Pakvatisara.
Asam. : Atisa, Peṭachala
Beng. : Atisara
Dogr. : Atisara, Jalaba, Desata
Guj. : Jhada, Julab
Hind. : Dasta
Kan. : Bhedhī
Maly. : Vayarilakkam
Mra. : Julaba, Hagvaṇa
Ori. : Jhada
Panj. : Dasta
Tam. : Bedhi, Perum-Kazhichal
Tel. : Virechanamulu
Signs and Symptoms
1. Amatisara:Stool in this kind of diarrhea is Picchila (slimy) with foul smell which sinks in water, is known as Amatisara.
2. Pakvatisara: Diarrhea with the feeling of lightness in the body and stool does not sink in water, then this condition is known as Pakvatisara.
Management of Amatisara
Simple kitchen based Recipes
1. Powder of Bhrishta Jīraka भूना जीरा (fried cumin) or root of Mustaka (motha) or fruit of Pippalī (long pepper) or Shunthi सोंठ (dried ginger) – 5 g. mixed with 1 litre of Takra मट्ठा(butter milk) and divided into four draughts, each dose is to be taken at the interval of six hours.
2. 1 to 3 g. of shunthī (dried ginger) – powder taken with equal part of sharkara (raw sugar) two times a day is useful for relieving the symptoms of Ama.
1. Powder of equal quantity of Indrayava (kurchi seed), Tvak-Dalachini (cinnamon bark), root of Ushira (khas), seed of Jambu (Jamun) and fruit pulp of Bilva (bael), to be consumed in the dose of 3 to 6 g. mixing with Takra (butter milk) three times a day.
2. Powder in equal parts of the of Purana Laja (pop of old paddy), fruit of Dhanyaka (coriander), Mocharasa (silk cotton tree resin) and double quantity of total above; with fruit of Śatapuṣpā (fennel) powder.To be taken in the dose of 3 to 6 g. with warm water two times a day.
3. Powder of Jatiphala जायफल (nutmeg), fruit of Jīraka (cumin) and fruit pulp of Bilva (bael) in equal quantity and grinded in quantity sufficient of Churṇodaka (lime water) to make pills of 800 mg. To be Taken one pill in the morning with Taṇḍulodaka (water obtained from the washing of Raw rice) in case of Pitta Pradhana Atisara, and with Karpura-Ambu (camphorated water) – 24 to 70 ml. in Kapha Pradhana Atisara.
1. Bhuvaneshvara Rasa: 1 to 2 g. to be taken with water two times a day in the morning and evening.
2. Ramabana Rasa: 250 to 500 mg. to be taken with honey two times a day.
Pathya -Diet should be restricted to light food like soup of Mudga (phaseolus bean) Siddha with shuṇṭhi; or rice 100 to 250 g. with 1 to 6 g. Ghrita (ghee).
Management of Pakvātisāra
Simple kitchen based Recipes
1. Powder of fruit pulp of Bilva (bael)- 3 to 6 g. mixed with Takra (butter milk) – 100 to 250 ml. to be taken three to four times a day.
2. Powder of bark of Kuṭaja (kurchi) or Indrayava (kurchi seed) 3 to 6 g. to be taken with Takra (butter milk) 100 to 250 ml. three to four times a day.
1. Equal parts of coarse powder of fruit pulp of Bilva (bael), rhizome of Balaka (valerian), roots of Mustaka (motha), Ativisha (Indian atees) and Bala (country mallow) and bark of Kuṭaja (kurchi) is taken and boiled with four times of the total weight of coarse powders and reduced to quarter in order to prepare Kvatha (decoction) . This is to be taken in the dose of 14 to 28 ml. three times a day. Decoctions are prepared fresh every time.
1. Karpura vaṭī: 140 to 280 mg. to be taken with honey two times a day.
2. Ashtakshari gutika-125 mg.to be taken twice
3. Ahiphenasava- 5to10 drops to be taken only in very Acute condition.
4. Jatiphaladya churna-1 to 3 gms twice daily
NOTE-Thease above mentioned drugs are to be taken under acute conditions and strictly under the supervision of institutionally qualified responsible Ayurveda physicians
5 Lai Churna: 1 to 3 g. to be taken three times a day with Takra (butter milk).
6.Mustakadyarishta-15 to 30 ml.mixed with equal quantity of water after food.
7, kutajarishta-15 to 30 ml.mixed with equal quantity of water after food.
8,Kutajavaleha-6 to 12 gm twice daily with butte milk
9,Brihat Gangadhara churna-3 to 6 gm twicw daily with honey or Tandulodaka(Rice water)
10,Balchaturbhadra churna-Very useful to infantds/children below the five years of age in the dose of 0.5 to 1gm mixed with honey